The List of Online Resources in Ukrainian
The list was provided by Oksana Brui, President of the Ukrainian Library Association in cooperation with The National Library of the Czech Republic.
- Nravo Kids
Children’s development with mobile games, creative manners and craftswomen.
- Mouse alphabet
The first interactive mobile Ukrainian alphabet in free access was created to learn the Ukrainian alphabet and write letters correctly in the form of a game.
Books in Ukrainian
Access to literature in one’s mother tongue is significant support for people outside their country. However, the creation of collections of Ukrainian literature in libraries may take some time. In the beginning, you should use network resources by making e-books and audiobooks available.
What can be done?
- share information on social networks so that it reaches as many people as possible,
- place links on the library website,
- share them with other libraries, for example in local or regional cooperation networks
- Prepare posters with QR codes so that everyone who visits the library can read books on their device.
Materials provided by publishing houses and organizations of Ukraine
Electronic collections and electronic libraries:
This is a modern library on your smartphone. Novelties and bestsellers, world classics and children’s books, motivational literature, popular non-fiction – all in one mobile application. Use the digital library, which is always at hand. Read anywhere, anytime.
Books for children and Fantasy for children and teenagers are available for free
- A – BEECH
New audiobooks of the best quality for smartphones and tablets.
Children’s and teen literature is available for free listening https://abuk.com.ua/catalog/genre/7
- Osvitoria Association
Beautifully illustrated children’s books from Ostrovita Media. Among other things, there are children’s books that can help calm a child, help them fall asleep, as well as adventure, detective or educational books (such as critical thinking). This collection also includes the book “How to support the Ukrainian army – letters to war.” Age about 3-9 years.
- BaraBooka: space of the Ukrainian children’s book
Books for children aged 3-9 are provided by the publishing house “Morning” for download in pdf format. The Living Writers guide can also be found on the website to help encourage children to read. The manual was developed by Smart Education and the Ukrainian Book Institute. It contains book descriptions that can be downloaded along with exercises and qr codes.
- Old Lion Publishing House
It offers 30 free titles for both children and adults. There are 3 steps to download the eBook:
1) Sign up and/or join the Old Lion community
2) From the offered books in electronic form, select the editions you need and add them to the cart (by clicking “Buy e-book”) and complete the order. The cost of books from the list is UAH 0.
3) After placing an order, the book will be available for download in the personal account in .epub, .fb2, .pdf and .mobi formats.
- Knigo Go
Catalogue of free books for download in the following formats: .fb2, .rtf, .epub, .txt for iPad, iPhone, Android and Kindle. A wide range of literature for both children and adolescents. The website does not require you to log in or create an account.
The Libruk website has collected works by Ukrainian classics and contemporary authors of various genres and times. Here you can download books in the most popular formats, and read online directly on the library’s website.
- Ukrainian literature
Electronic library of works of classical Ukrainian literature. Writers are structured in alphabetical order. With just one click you can select the desired author and a page will open with a list of all the necessary materials. In addition to materials about writers, there are also their works that can be read directly on the site or downloaded in various formats (.docx .fb2 .pdf .djvu).
- Reading book
Children’s Public Online Library “Chitanka” specializes in Ukrainian-language illustrated books. The authors of the project scan old children’s books with pictures in order to share them with modern children.
To find the right book you should use the author’s, alphabetical or systematic catalogue. In the first two chapters the books are arranged by author or title, and in the second they are grouped by the following sections: “Foreign”, “Ukrainian”, “Children’s”, “Cognitive”, “Story”, “Stories”, “Fairy Tales”, “Fairy Tales”. “Yes”, “Poetic Works”, “Humor”, “Magazines”, “Textbooks”, etc.
All books in the Reader can be downloaded in a single DJVU format, so they can only be read on tablets or readers that support this e-book standard.
Public electronic library of Ukrainian fiction. The authors are presented in alphabetical order. Texts of works can be read both on the library page, and it is possible to download works in .txt and .pdf format.
- Electronic Library of Ukrainian Literature
The Electronic Library of Ukrainian Literature of the University of Toronto (Canada) is a personal project of University Professor Maksym Tarnavsky.
- Library of World Literature
Originals and translations. The information is presented both by genres and in general by chronological periods of literature development, for example, romanticism, realism, modernism, etc. By clicking on the link, you can read the works online in the original or in Ukrainian translation.
- Discourse Publishing House
Hlyna – a series of workbooks that fall in love with Ukraine. Created primarily for children of children living in Ukraine abroad for use both in weekend schools and at home.
- E-book UA
A large library of e-books, divided into sections: biographies, historical novels, adventure, science fiction, fantasy, crime novels, science and education, love novels, books for children and others. There is a separate section with audiobooks of Ukrainian and foreign literature. You can also download school textbooks and encyclopedias here. Most of the books on the site are Ukrainian and foreign fiction. Both classic works and books by modern authors are available.
You can download books for free or view texts online in JavaLibre. Literature in Ukrainian is collected on the site in the following formats: .jar, .jad, .txt, .fb2, .epub, .doc, easy to read on mobile devices. Readers have access to historical books, fairy tales, humour, children’s literature, women’s novels, fairy tales, science, poetry, religion, philosophy, science fiction, and fantasy.
- The Open Book is an electronic library of classics of Ukrainian and world literature. The site distributes free copyrighted literature and publishes only works that are licensed for public use. Here you can download or read from the site classic publications, works of the school curriculum.
- Library of Ukrainian Literature
The purpose of this website is to make Ukrainian literature accessible to anyone who wants to read it. The site presents Ukrainian and world literature, as well as popular science books and books on literary studies in Ukrainian. It is possible to read full and abbreviated texts.
- Find a book!
With the help of the search engine you can find books in electronic formats (.txt, .rtf, .doc, .pdf, .fb2, .epub, .mobi, .djvu) and paper formats, all books are available in Ukrainian.
- Larisa Denisenko’s “Children of Air Alarms”– book by Larisa Denisenko “Children of Air Alarms”, written on the basis of events in modern Ukraine. Most children know that at the sound of a siren they should immediately hide in a shelter, and many spend the night in bomb shelters. Writer and human rights activist Larysa Denysenko has written a sequel to Maya and Her Mother – the same children from different families are now hiding from Russian bombs in shelters.
- Anastasia Stepula’s World Without Borders – Osnovy Publishing House has published the book A World Without Borders equality. The publication is intended for school-age children. The book can be downloaded for free.
- Bohdan Krasavtsev’s “Eco-stories for my little friends” – there are eight stories about solving environmental problems presented in fiction stories. Incidents take place in Odesa and Kyiv, Chernivtsi and Lviv, Kharkiv and Makarov, etc. The book has tips on where to dispose of used batteries, why to sort plastic, how to combat climate change, what phosphate detergents are harmful and why we should save energy.
Tales, legends, stories, poems
- Collection of Ukrainian fairy tales and legends
- Ukrainian fairy tales and poems
- Legends, poems, Ukrainian proverbs
- Stories and fairy tales from around the world (e-books and audiobooks)
- 4Read – audiobooks in Ukrainian for children and adults for online listening
- Audiobook Channel on YouTube
- Abuk is a mobile application that allows you to listen to audiobooks in Ukrainian. Large database, many of the books can be listened to for free. There are free collections for children:
as well as for adults:
- World of Fairy Tales – a catalogue of audiobooks for children. It includes both Ukrainian fairy tales and legends, audio versions of popular Disney fairy tales, modern children’s books
- The audiobook “Butterflies in Ice Shells” based on the story by Oksana Radushynska was created within the project of the Khmelnytsky Regional Library for Children named after T. G. Shevchenko’s “Special Book for Special Children”, which was implemented with the support of the Ukrainian Cultural Foundation.
Electronic resources created by libraries:
- Pochytayko is a project of the National Library of Ukraine for Children, an electronic audio library of favourite works of literature for children created by children’s librarians in Ukraine
- Listen and read: Klyucha audio library is a project of the National Library of Ukraine for children, texts are read by authors of books
- QR – Levenyatka reading room – a project of the Lviv Regional Library for Children, an electronic library of works for children of writers of the Lviv region
- A Tale for Goodnight is a project of the Kherson Regional Library for Children, an audio library of fairy tales
- We read different – the project of the Chernihiv Regional Library for Children, an audio library for children with visual impairments. Contains works that are studied according to the school curriculum and the most popular works of world children’s literature
- Electronic books of the Dnepropetrovsk regional library for children
- Electronic library of Khmelnytsky regional library for children named after T. Shevchenko
- Electronic books of Chernivtsi Regional Library for Children
- Electronic library of Cherkasy regional library for children. Works by S. L. Wearing
- Electronic library of Cherkasy regional library for children. Works by M. F. Frolova
- Electronic library of Cherkasy regional library for children. Works by B. M. Kovalenko