WelcomeBIB is a social inclusion and integration project promoted by the Department of Culture, in collaboration with the Diputació de Barcelona, Diputació de Girona and Biblioteques de Barcelona, which aims to make public libraries a welcoming place for the local community and that they have a framework of action and resources to offer services and facilitate the integration through the public library of groups that arrive in Catalonia.
With this action, the Department of Culture of the Generalitat wants to emphasize the relevance of participation in the cultural life of the local community as a tool for welcoming and including newcomers to Catalonia such as refugee families and young migrants. they are the only ones in the protection centers of the General Directorate of Child and Adolescent Care (DGAIA). The aim is to publicize the public library and its services, encourage reading, increase interest in learning, and increase the link with the local community through public libraries.
Work is underway on the acquisition of Ukrainian-language bibliographic holdings on paper or digital, informative materials in Ukrainian as well as the design of activities to encourage reading and emotional support with special emphasis on children. The libraries will provide all refugees who wish with a library card and access to the public digital content platform eBiblioCAT, which already has works in Ukrainian:
1. Thematic lots of children’s literature and comics in Ukrainian:
- Joan Triadú Library of Vic
- Fages de Climent de Figueres Library
- Conangla and Fontanilles de Montblanc Regional Library
- Marcel·lí Domingo Library in Tortosa
- Fort Pienc Library of Barcelona
2. Selection of books in Ukrainian on eBiblioCat – BiblioDigital :
- Книги для дорослих читачів, фантастика i художнi / Adult, fiction and non-fiction
- Книги для дітей i підлітків / Children and youth in Ukrainian
3. Activities to encourage reading and emotional support
- Tales to hear by Gina Clotet from Umpalumpa and Álvar LLusá
- Joan Triadú Library in Vic: May 9 at 6 p.m.
- Marcel·lí Domingo Library in Tortosa: 12 May 18
- Guissona Library: May 13 at 6 p.m.
- Clages de Figueres Fages Library: May 17 5:15 p.m.
- Fort Pienc Library of Barcelona: May 20 5:30 p.m.
- Terra Baixa del Vendrell Public Library – Coma-ruga reading room: May 24 at 6 p.m.